Grace, Mercy and Peace to you, Welcome to Volume 46 of this E-Newsletter.
I have often heard the line that children are the church of the future. That could not be farther from the truth, children are the church now! We cannot think that we can wait to raise up and educate the church of today, so with this being said I am excited to announce the the renewal of Holy Trinity Lutheran's Sunday School.
There has been talk around church for several weeks now about the rebirth of this program. With the help of Theresa Davis (Tom and Penny Folwer's daughter) we are going to be bringing it back. It will take a bit to get off the ground and we aren't looking to rush the process. Beginning in January we will be having one Sunday a month where we have a special time for the children of our congregation.
We will be able to offer something that will be focused on them, a time where they can start to understand and develop their faith, because before we know it they will be older and will be the leaders of the church. The sooner that we can help develop and foster their faith, the sooner they will be leaders in the congregation and guiding us towards the calling of the Holy Spirit.
If we do not allow children to lead us, to learn, to grown, to develop they will always remain an afterthought in our church. Christ called us to a faith that is child like but not childish. One that is at awe with the world and surrounding, but out to impact the world for good and change the way we are in the world. Some might call it unrealistic to think that we can change the world, but not in the eyes of a child whose faith is alive and is helping us to follow the call of the Holy Spirit.
So mark your Calendars, tell your friends, talk to your neighbors and invite everyone you know to Holy Trinity's Church in Action Children's Program. Our Sunday School time will be integrated with our Sunday Worship experience, so come at 9:30 for both events. Our first Sunday will be January 10, followed by February 14th, March 20th and April 10th. Hope to see you at church!
*I was greatly torn today on whether to write today about our Sunday School or the shooting in San Bernardino. Once again a gunman has taken the lives of innocent people in our world while we sit back. Our prayers are needed of course and we will never stop praying for the victims of violence but for how long will we stop with prayers, for how long will we sit back and think there is no way to prevent these things from happening, how long will we allow preventable disasters to occur. I wish I had a more theological response but I am just heart broken that we are here again so we cry out Christ have Mercy Lord Have Mercy.
Prayer Requests: Betty J, Shirley P., Don T., Leah, Steven, Glen and Jill, Karen, Dorothy F, Pastor Janell, Rev. Maggie, Pastor Fred, Sherry S., Marty H., Marlyn K., Clark, Jade, Jane, Don, St. Mark's Lutheran, St. Paul Lutheran, Danielle, Grayson, Elijah we pray for students and teachers everywhere, help us to remain troubled by everything that is troubling in the world, we pray for the church, the world, and all those in need.
- Don't call it a comeback...ok call it a comeback because it is coming back! Sunday School that is. With the help of Theresa Davis we will be reigniting our Sunday School Program here at Holy Trinity. We will be beginning in January with a one Sunday a month focus on Christian Education. Our Church in Action Children's Program will be integrated with our Sunday Worship. So plan on joining us January 10th and every second Sunday (unless otherwise stated).
- *Town Hall Meeting * Over the past year we have been working on the process of Calling a Pastor here at Holy Trinity. This process is nearing the end but there are few more steps before we are done. The Call Committee has recommended Andrew Rickel to the Church Council as their candidate . On Sunday December 13th there will be a time for any and all questions or comments that you may have for the candidate. Andrew will be available during the fellowship time to answer questions formally or informally.
- *Bring a Friend Sunday/Church Brunch *Sunday the 20th of December two big things are going on here at church. First of all it is our bring a friend Sunday so grab a friend for church that day. Also we will be having a brunch afterwards so plan on signing up and bringing a dish.
- *NEW *Coming soon is our new Discipleship calendar for 2016!
- *Mark Your Calendars *Christmas is right around the corner so make sure to have Christmas Eve Worship written on your calendar for 10pm so you can be sure to be with us.
- *New *Worry Eaters! The Davis family are organizing donations for Children's Hospitals in Portland this year. They are purchasing Worry Eaters http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VZ36NNY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687762&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00CJ23MPM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19FW07J635G0KRK8YVKD for kids in the hospital. They are stuffed animals that are therapeutic for the fears and worries of kids in the hospital. They plan on taking them over in a few weeks so if you would like to support the this outreach purchase them soon and bring them into church.
- *This Sunday! *A group of us are heading over to the Portland Grotto this evening to check out the Festival of Lights. We plan on meeting at the Grotto at 5pm. All are welcome to join us!
- *NEW *If you can't join us this week at the Grotto plan on taking a spin through the Lights in the Campground at the Apostolic Faith Church on the corner of 52nd and Duke. The will be open the weekend of December 13-15.
- If you are like me and do searching for things on the internet do I have a thing for you. I have gotten Holy Trinity set up with Goodsearch.com. It is an online search engine that is powered by yahoo and everytime you use it search engine it donates to a charity of your choice, in our situation that is Holy Trinity. So set that browser to good search and select Holy Trinity and get searching.
- Available this week are our Table Top Talk materials. These are designed to be taken home for dinner conversation. Most of what we learn about faith occurs at home, that is the place where we see faith in action and we hear the conversations that help to continue our growth as disciples. These materials are meant to be conversation starters over dinner, in the car or around the table. They will be available each week at church and also on the recourses tab of our website.
- We have been invited on the second Friday of every month to join for worship with the saints at Our Lady of Sorrows Church here in Woodstock. At 7pm on those Fridays they gather for a Taize Service. Taize is an ecumenical community in France that has developed a method of prayer that combines music, prayer and silence. It is a beautiful service and something that cannot be related in words but needs to be experienced. If you are looking for a new worship opportunity you should check it out.
- If you are feeling the need to travel in 2016 the Oregon Synod of the ELCA is sponsoring a trip to the Holy Land. The trip will be in May and all are welcome to go on the trip. If you are interested contact Pastor Andrew for more details.
- If you are feeling the itch to travel but the Holy Lands is not your cup of tea, maybe you are interested in cruising with other Lutherans to Alaska. My dear friend Ben Fredericks (member of my internship congregation Resurrection Lutheran) is organizing a cruise for Lutheran Congregations in May of 2016. The trip will be from May 14th to the 21st and will be a wonderful opportunity to see the sights and sounds of the Pacific NW and enjoy great fellowship with other Lutherans. Contact the church office for more info.
- Believe it or not Christmas is right around the corner. The music department of Concordia University are preforming services of Lessons and Carols at St. Michael's Lutheran, right next to their campus on December 4th at 7pm, December 5th at 7pm and December 6th at 3pm. If you are looking to add a beautiful musical experience to your Advent season this is a wonderful option.
- Summer maybe ending but this is a great time of the year to start getting more active and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having. So join Pastor Andrew on Wednesday to walk around the neighborhood. We will be meeting at 2:30 at the church and set off for a stroll around the neighborhood.
- * Thanks. *A big thank you to everyone who supported our 5th Sunday ingathering of canned goods. We had a wonderful offering that went to the food pantry at St. Mark's Lutheran Church. Keep your eyes peeled for the Souper Bowl of Caring in a few weeks.
- Holy Trinity's Little Library- Thanks to Keith our Little Library is now complete. In the coming weeks we will be preparing it to be hung on the fence outside for the community. However, it is currently empty, so help us fill it but leaving a recommendation of books to fill it with. We are looking for books that have had an impact on your faith life. So what book(s) have impacted your faith?
-There are many ways to connect and engage with Holy Trinity Lutheran.
Find us on Facebook: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church Portland
Spread the word on Yelp http://www.yelp.com/biz/holy-trinity-lutheran-church-portland
Join us for devotions on Instagram: HTLCPDX
Follow us on Twitter @HTLCPDX
If you are interested in my occasional musing on my blog you can find it here http://spoileralertimnotagoodwriter.blogspot.com
Keep an eye on our webpage www.htlcpdx.com for more updates as well.
Pastor Andrew's schedule for 12/7-11
Monday- Possible OLYO meeting on Call if needed
Tuesday- Around the church in the morning and afternoon. Preaching group at noon. Wednesday- Around the church
Thursday-On call if needed during the day
Friday- On call if needed, sermon prep
Blessings Pastor Andrew