Grace, Mercy and Peace to you, Welcome to Volume 2 Number 8 of this E-Newsletter.
This season of Lent thus far we have been looking and reflecting on our relationships with God, ourselves, one another and the world. This season is one of reorientation. We are examining how our lives might have drifted from the calling God has for our lives. Its a time to strip away all the excess of our lives and world and truly examine our relationships in the world. When we strip it all away we are left with love.
I came across this quote the other day that I just had to share. "The hunger for God can only be satisfied by a love that is face to face, person to person. It is only in the eyes of another that we can find the Icon of Christ. We must make the other person aware we love him. If we do, he will know that God loves him. He will never hunger again." -Catherine de Heck Doherty, founder of the Madonna House community. When we strip away all the layers in life we are left with love and the way in which we see, press, feel that love is in one another and how we love them.
This season of Lent is one that is based in loved, love from God to us, creation. But until we recognize God's love for the world, God's love for the other God's love for us we will be lost in the stuff and excess of the world. We will be chasing something that isn't there, we will be seeking fullness in stuff of the world. We will only find that direction and calling in life through love.
Prayer Requests: Betty J, Shirley P., Andrea, Don T., Leah, Steven, Glen and Jill, Karen, Dorothy F, Pastor Janell, Rev. Maggie, Pastor Fred, Sherry S., Marlyn K., Clark, Jade, Theresa, Jane, Don, St. Mark's Lutheran, St. Paul Lutheran, The Mission of Hope, Danielle, Grayson, Elijah we pray for students and teachers everywhere, help us to remain troubled by everything that is troubling in the world, we pray for the church, the world, and all those in need.
-There will be 2 new educational opportunities during Lent at Holy Trinity. First of all we will be having a Sunday Morning Bible Study beginning our look at Lutheran Sacraments starting around 845ish. Secondly, we will be have a Wednesday night gathering at Dick's Primal Burger on Woodstock, where we will share a bite to eat, conversation and prayer. We will be starting around 6pm, mark those calendars. We will be gathering again on March 2nd!
-We are a go for Ordination on February 28th, we will be gathering at 4 pm at Central Lutheran here in Portland, which a reception following. Be sure to join us if you can. If you can't be there in person you can watch the live stream through Central Lutheran Church's website.
-Discipleship 2016! Each month during 2016 we will be encountering new ways to engage our discipleship. Every month we will have a different focus as a congregation, and learn new ways to engage our faith. February will be a month to engage with a new type of service. This past Sunday the Fowlers and Friends went down and helped serve meals at Potluck in the Park. They fed over 600 people which I hear was an all-time high. So thank you for serving this month. Next Month we will be looking towards an educational event.
-Our Sunday School is officially back and off to a great start! One Sunday a month we will have an extra focus on Christian Education. Our Church in Action Children's Program will be integrated with our Sunday Worship. So plan on joining us March 20th for our third session!
- If you are like me and do searching for things on the internet do I have a thing for you. I have gotten Holy Trinity set up with Goodsearch.com. It is an online search engine that is powered by yahoo and everytime you use it search engine it donates to a charity of your choice, in our situation that is Holy Trinity. So set that browser to good search and select Holy Trinity and get searching.
- We have been invited on the second Friday of every month to join for worship with the saints at Our Lady of Sorrows Church here in Woodstock. At 7pm on those Fridays they gather for a Taize Service. Taize is an ecumenical community in France that has developed a method of prayer that combines music, prayer and silence. It is a beautiful service and something that cannot be related in words but needs to be experienced. If you are looking for a new worship opportunity you should check it out.
- If you are feeling the need to travel in 2016 the Oregon Synod of the ELCA is sponsoring a trip to the Holy Land. The trip will be in May and all are welcome to go on the trip. If you are interested contact Pastor Andrew for more details.
- If you are feeling the itch to travel but the Holy Lands is not your cup of tea, maybe you are interested in cruising with other Lutherans to Alaska. My dear friend Ben Fredericks (member of my internship congregation Resurrection Lutheran) is organizing a cruise for Lutheran Congregations in May of 2016. The trip will be from May 14th to the 21st and will be a wonderful opportunity to see the sights and sounds of the Pacific NW and enjoy great fellowship with other Lutherans. Contact the church office for more info.
-Winter is here, but when did some bad/cold weather slow us down. So join Pastor Andrew on Wednesday to walk around the neighborhood. We will be meeting at 2:30 at the church and set off for a stroll around the neighborhood.
- Holy Trinity's Little Library- Thanks to Keith our Little Library is now complete. In the coming weeks we will be preparing it to be hung on the fence outside for the community. However, it is currently empty, so help us fill it but leaving a recommendation of books to fill it with. We are looking for books that have had an impact on your faith life. So what book(s) have impacted your faith?
-There are many ways to connect and engage with Holy Trinity Lutheran.
Find us on Facebook: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church Portland
Spread the word on Yelp http://www.yelp.com/biz/holy-trinity-lutheran-church-portland
Join us for devotions on Instagram: HTLCPDX
Follow us on Twitter @HTLCPDX
If you are interested in my occasional musing on my blog you can find it here http://spoileralertimnotagoodwriter.blogspot.com
Keep an eye on our webpage http://www.htlcpdx.com/ for more updates as well.
Pastor Andrew's schedule for 2/29-3/4
Monday- on call if needed.
Tuesday- at Preaching group at noon.
Wednesday- Around church in the morning, Small Group dinner at Dick's.
Thursday- Around church during the day.
Friday- On call if needed, sermon prep.
Blessings Pastor Andrew