Grace, Mercy and Peace to you, Welcome to Volume 2 Number 4 of this E-Newsletter.
Too many things are happening this Sunday to waste any time, so let's just jump into the rundown.
There are 3 big things going on this coming Sunday at Holy Trinity. First, it is the wrap up of our winter coat drive. We have been collecting coats this past moth for the clothing closet over at St. Mark's Lutheran church. So far this month we have collected 43 coats! That is an incredible number thus far. I would love to see us get up to 50! So here is one last appeal to clean out those closets and donate some coats.
Secondly, not only is it the end of our coat drive, but it is our 5th Sunday ingathering. This month we have been prepping for "Souper Bowl Sunday" yes you read that correctly. This isn't Super Bowl Sunday but "Souper Bowl Sunday" Church and other various organizations have used this coming Sunday each yes to gather together nonperishable food items for local food pantries. So we will again be participating in "Souper Bowl Sunday" so swing through the store before Sunday and grab an extra few items for donation!
Finally, this coming Sunday is our Annual Meeting. This year is especially important because 2015 was a year of transition and now we are entering into a new chapter in the life of Holy Trinity, we are seeing both a new Pastor and an increase in our budget. We are on the brink of exciting times here at Holy Trinity and this Sunday is an important time in the narrative of this congregation. It is a time for us to dream and vision together for where we are being called to go in the coming year.
Plan on joining us if you can!
Prayer Requests: Betty J, Shirley P., Andrea, Don T., Leah, Steven, Glen and Jill, Karen, Dorothy F, Pastor Janell, Rev. Maggie, Pastor Fred, Sherry S., Marlyn K., Clark, Jade, Jane, Don, St. Mark's Lutheran,St. Paul Lutheran, Danielle, Grayson, Elijah we pray for students and teachers everywhere, help us to remain troubled by everything that is troubling in the world, we pray for the church, the world, and all those in need.
- The HTLC Winter Coat Drive is upon us. Throughout the month of January we will be collecting gently used coats for those in need this winter. Bring in those coats for collection and we will bring them to a clothing closet each week so they can get directly into the hands of those in need. We are up to 43 coats already! Thanks to our building partner Puddletown we got a large donation of children clothing as well!
- Once again we will be joining with our Brothers and Sisters at St. Paul and St. Mark's Lutheran for Ash Wednesday. So mark those calendars for February 10th for a Noon service here at Holy Trinity. There will be light refreshments afterwards, if you would like to help please let us know here in the office. Also if you cannot be at Service at noon, you can visit Pastor Andrew at Berkely Park beginning at 7am for Ashes to Go.
*New *There will be 2 new educational opportunities during Lent at Holy Trinity. First of all we will be having a Sunday Morning Bible Study beginning our look at Lutheran Sacraments starting around 845ish. Secondly, we will be have a Wednesday night gathering at a restaurant soon to be determined, where we will share a bite to eat, conversation and prayer. We will be starting around 6pm, mark those calendars.
- Discipleship 2016! Each month during 2016 we will be encountering new ways to engage our discipleship. Every month we will have a different focus as a congregation, and learn new ways to engage our faith. February will be a month to engage with a new type of service. On February 21st we will be taking part again with Potluck in the Park. Potluck in the Park in an organization that serves free meals in downtown Portland every Sunday, and they have been doing it since 1991. It is a great opportunity to get out in our city and help those that are the dos tin need to get a warm mea. There is a sign up sheet in the fellowship room if you can join us!
-This Sunday -Our Annual Meeting as a Congregation is in a few weeks, so plan on being with us on January 31st.
-*This Sunday- *Souperbowl Sunday! The real Souperbowl is January 31st this year. This is the date that we are going to be collecting non-perishable food items for the food pantry at St. Mark's Lutheran as a part of Souperbowl Sunday. We have participated over the past few years and it is a great opportunity to give back to those around us. We will be accepting food and monetary donations up through the rest of the month.
- Our Sunday School is officially back and off to a great start! One Sunday a month we will have an extra focus on Christian Education. Our Church in Action Children's Program will be integrated with our Sunday Worship. So plan on joining us February 14th for our second session!
- Don't call it a comeback...ok call it a comeback because it is coming back! Sunday School that is. With the help of Theresa Davis we will be reigniting our Sunday School Program here at Holy Trinity. We will be beginning in January with a one Sunday a month focus on Christian Education. Our Church in Action Children's Program will be integrated with our Sunday Worship. So plan on joining us January 10th and every second Sunday (unless otherwise stated).
- If you are like me and do searching for things on the internet do I have a thing for you. I have gotten Holy Trinity set up with Goodsearch.com. It is an online search engine that is powered by yahoo and everytime you use it search engine it donates to a charity of your choice, in our situation that is Holy Trinity. So set that browser to good search and select Holy Trinity and get searching.
- We have been invited on the second Friday of every month to join for worship with the saints at Our Lady of Sorrows Church here in Woodstock. At 7pm on those Fridays they gather for a Taize Service. Taize is an ecumenical community in France that has developed a method of prayer that combines music, prayer and silence. It is a beautiful service and something that cannot be related in words but needs to be experienced. If you are looking for a new worship opportunity you should check it out.
- If you are feeling the need to travel in 2016 the Oregon Synod of the ELCA is sponsoring a trip to the Holy Land. The trip will be in May and all are welcome to go on the trip. If you are interested contact Pastor Andrew for more details.
- If you are feeling the itch to travel but the Holy Lands is not your cup of tea, maybe you are interested in cruising with other Lutherans to Alaska. My dear friend Ben Fredericks (member of my internship congregation Resurrection Lutheran) is organizing a cruise for Lutheran Congregations in May of 2016. The trip will be from May 14th to the 21st and will be a wonderful opportunity to see the sights and sounds of the Pacific NW and enjoy great fellowship with other Lutherans. Contact the church office for more info.
- Summer maybe ending but this is a great time of the year to start getting more active and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having. So join Pastor Andrew on Wednesday to walk around the neighborhood. We will be meeting at 2:30 at the church and set off for a stroll around the neighborhood.
- Holy Trinity's Little Library- Thanks to Keith our Little Library is now complete. In the coming weeks we will be preparing it to be hung on the fence outside for the community. However, it is currently empty, so help us fill it but leaving a recommendation of books to fill it with. We are looking for books that have had an impact on your faith life. So what book(s) have impacted your faith?
-There are many ways to connect and engage with Holy Trinity Lutheran.
Find us on Facebook: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church Portland
Spread the word on Yelp http://www.yelp.com/biz/holy-trinity-lutheran-church-portland
Join us for devotions on Instagram: HTLCPDX
Follow us on Twitter @HTLCPDX
If you are interested in my occasional musing on my blog you can find it here http://spoileralertimnotagoodwriter.blogspot.com
Keep an eye on our webpage http://www.htlcpdx.com/ for more updates as well.
Pastor Andrew's schedule for 2/1-2/5
Monday- on call if needed
Tuesday- at Church in the AM, Preaching group at noon, back at Church in the Afternoon
Wednesday- Around church all day
Thursday- Around church during the day.
Friday- On call if needed, sermon prep.
Blessings Pastor Andrew