Grace, Mercy and Peace to you, Welcome to Volume 35 of this E-Newsletter.
ELCA Churches around the country are going to be taking to their local neighborhoods after worship this Sunday for God's Work, Our Hands Sunday. This is a rather recent Sunday that the ELCA has been focusing on over the past few years. The idea is exactly what it sounds like, getting out and doing God's work in our communities using our hands. It is not a Sunday where we are just preaching the Gospel but it is a opportunity as a congregation to get out and live out the Gospel.
Holy Trinity will not be participating this Sunday but the Sunday following, September 20th. On that day we will be heading out to join Hands on Portland for their Potluck in the Park. This potluck has been occurring every Sunday since 1991. Because of this events 400-800 people in Portland will not go hungry on Sundays. We will be starting at 2pm and finishing up around 5.
This is an event that is open to everyone and the more volunteers the merrier. It would be wonderful to have you join us for this event. There are two ways that you can get registered to volunteer. The first is through handsonportland.com. Once there you can find the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church team, join it and sign up for the event, or you can contact me and I can get you registered with us. I hope you can join us.
Prayer Requests: Betty J, Shirley P., Leah, Don + Lois T., Glen and Jill, Karen, Dorothy F, Pastor Janell, Rev. Maggie, Marie and Jake, Jane, Dan, Noel, St. Mark's Lutheran, St. Paul Lutheran, Pastor Fred, Danielle, Grayson and all those preparing for baptism or recently baptized, that we should remain troubled by everything that is troubling, the church, the world, and all those in need.
- September 13th is "God's Work, Our Hands" Sunday in the ELCA. Congregations across the country will be heading out that day to do service in their communities. *We will be participating however on September 20th from 2-5pm*. We will be serving alongside other at Potluck in the Park. Potluck in the Park is an event that has been occurring in the North Park Blocks since the 1991. It provides a meal, each and every Sunday for all who show up and gather. We will be participating alongside others through Hands on Portland. There is a signup sheet at church if you would like to attend or you can sign up online here http://www.handsonportland.org/HOC__Volunteer_Opportunity_Details_Page?id=a0C1200000knClcEAE&wrs=HOC0009-003-63072243-2d44-436d-8b8b-b09702bce1f6.
- Available this week are our Table Top Talk materials. These are designed to be taken home for dinner conversation. Most of what we learn about faith occurs at home, that is the place where we see faith in action and we hear the conversations that help to continue our growth as disciples. These materials are meant to be conversation starters over dinner, in the car or around the table. They will be available each week at church and also on the recourses tab of our website.
- *THIS SATURDAY *Fall clean up day is right around the corner. With the rainy season approached we wanted to get in another clean up day at church before it is too late. So mark your calendar for September 12th, starting around 9am. We will put up a to-do list in the fellowship room.
- If you are feeling the need to travel in 2016 the Oregon Synod of the ELCA is sponsoring a trip to the Holy Land. The trip will be in May and all are welcome to go on the trip. If you are interested contact Pastor Andrew for more details.
-Remember at church a few weeks ago when there was a car broken down in our parking lot? That car belonged to Pastor Chris Pruitt. He is a church planter here in Portland, and is in the process of beginning a church in town. The car that was broken down was the car he was using for work and ministry and it broken down for the last time. He is in the process of finding a new car for his work so if you yourself or anyone else is looking to donate a car to his ministry please contact the church office.
- Summer maybe ending but this is a great time of the year to start getting more active and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having. So join Pastor Andrew on Wednesday to walk around the neighborhood. We will be meeting at 2:30 at the church and set off for a stroll around the neighborhood.
- 5th Sunday ingathering of canned goods is right around the corner again. Our next ingathering will be, November 29th! This month we will be supporting a local food bank. So bring in those canned goods!
- Thrivant Builds was a great success! Pam and I worked on various projects around the site! Thrivant Financial partners with Habitat for Humanity on their building projects here in Portland. The next build is going to be October 10th and they are looking for volunteers to help. This is a wonderful opportunity to help out the community and dust off those work boots. This will be a joint event between St. Mark's St. Paul and us here at Holy Trinity. Check out the flyers around church and sign up. Keep your eye out for more information or contact Pastor Andrew for more information. You can signup online at http://vhub.at/thriventfinancial
- Check out out new calendar on our website www.htlcpdx.com http://www.htlcpdx.com/ for the most updated events around the church and community.
There are many ways to connect and engage with Holy Trinity Lutheran.
Find us on Facebook: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church Portland
Spread the word on Yelp http://www.yelp.com/biz/holy-trinity-lutheran-church-portland
Join us for devotions on Instagram: HTLCPDX
Follow us on Twitter @HTLCPDX
If you are interested in my occasional musing on my blog you can find it here http://spoileralertimnotagoodwriter.blogspot.com
Keep an eye on our webpage www.htlcpdx.com for more updates as well.
Pastor Andrew's Schedule Sept 14-18
Monday- On Call if needed
Tuesday- Pastors preaching group in the am and around the church in the pm.
Wednesday- Around the church
Thursday- On call if needed in the morning and afternoon, Evening Council
Friday- On call if needed, sermon prep
Blessings Pastor Andrew