Grace, Mercy and Peace to you, Welcome to Volume 36 of this E-Newsletter.
A friend of Colleen and I's recently put together a series of TED talks (if you are not familial with these you can learn more here https://www.ted.com/talks), he gathered 12 or so people to talk about something they are passionate about, each person got about 5 minutes and answered questions afterwards. He asked me to be one of the speakers but had a specific topic in mind. He wanted me to speak for a few minutes about what a Pastors day/week/schedule/work flow looks like. I initially turned down of the offer because I did not think that I had the time to put together a presentation, but he twisted my arm.
For me the most important part for not just a Pastor but for the life of a disciple is worship. Worship is the thing that everything else hinges on. As I said on Sunday, worship is not like watching a movie, when we just sit and stare at a screen but it is a moment, an experience of re-orientation. It is a time where we can align ourselves back towards God. It is a time that we can re-focus ourselves on that relationship with God that we lose track of in our day to day lives. But it does not end there, we are not just re-orienting our lives back towards God, but with one another as well along with our world and creation. There is a reminder for us about how we are to be living our lives in relationship with one another and with the world.
This September we are in a Season of Creation. This month our worship and life as a congregation is focused on creation. Now just how we are being called to be stewards of the world that we have been given but how we are to be worshiping God alongside and with creation. We are not called to dominate but to tend and care for this creation we have been given. It is not an easy message or task to be taken on, but it is on that we are called to by God. So come and join us as we celebrate and dive into this Season of Creation.
Prayer Requests: Betty J, Shirley P., Leah, Don + Lois T., Glen and Jill, Karen, Dorothy F, Pastor Janell, Rev. Maggie, Marie and Jake, Jane, Dan, Noel, St. Mark's Lutheran, St. Paul Lutheran, Pastor Fred, Danielle, Grayson and all those preparing for baptism or recently baptized, that we should remain troubled by everything that is troubling, the church, the world, and all those in need.
- *This Sunday! *September 13th is "God's Work, Our Hands" Sunday in the ELCA. Congregations across the country will be heading out that day to do service in their communities. *We will be participating however on September 20th from 2-5pm*. We will be serving alongside other at Potluck in the Park. Potluck in the Park is an event that has been occurring in the North Park Blocks since the 1991. It provides a meal, each and every Sunday for all who show up and gather. We will be participating alongside others through Hands on Portland. There is a signup sheet at church if you would like to attend or you can sign up online here http://www.handsonportland.org/HOC__Volunteer_Opportunity_Details_Page?id=a0C1200000knClcEAE&wrs=HOC0009-003-63072243-2d44-436d-8b8b-b09702bce1f6.
- Available this week are our Table Top Talk materials. These are designed to be taken home for dinner conversation. Most of what we learn about faith occurs at home, that is the place where we see faith in action and we hear the conversations that help to continue our growth as disciples. These materials are meant to be conversation starters over dinner, in the car or around the table. They will be available each week at church and also on the recourses tab of our website.
- Thank you to everyone who came out and took part in our Fall Work Day. It was fantastic to have people here working on the building and grounds. The Church looks great thanks to volunteers like you.
- If you are feeling the need to travel in 2016 the Oregon Synod of the ELCA is sponsoring a trip to the Holy Land. The trip will be in May and all are welcome to go on the trip. If you are interested contact Pastor Andrew for more details.
- Remember at church a few weeks ago when there was a car broken down in our parking lot? That car belonged to Pastor Chris Pruitt. He is a church planter here in Portland, and is in the process of beginning a church in town. The car that was broken down was the car he was using for work and ministry and it broken down for the last time. He is in the process of finding a new car for his work so if you yourself or anyone else is looking to donate a car to his ministry please contact the church office.
- Summer maybe ending but this is a great time of the year to start getting more active and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having. So join Pastor Andrew on Wednesday to walk around the neighborhood. We will be meeting at 2:30 at the church and set off for a stroll around the neighborhood.
- 5th Sunday ingathering of canned goods is right around the corner again. Our next ingathering will be, November 29th! This month we will be supporting a local food bank. So bring in those canned goods!
- Thrivant Builds was a great success! Pam and I worked on various projects around the site! Thrivant Financial partners with Habitat for Humanity on their building projects here in Portland. The next build is going to be October 10th and they are looking for volunteers to help. This is a wonderful opportunity to help out the community and dust off those work boots. This will be a joint event between St. Mark's St. Paul and us here at Holy Trinity. Check out the flyers around church and sign up. Keep your eye out for more information or contact Pastor Andrew for more information. You can signup online at http://vhub.at/thriventfinancial
- Check out out new calendar on our website www.htlcpdx.com http://www.htlcpdx.com/ for the most updated events around the church and community.
There are many ways to connect and engage with Holy Trinity Lutheran.
Find us on Facebook: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church Portland
Spread the word on Yelp http://www.yelp.com/biz/holy-trinity-lutheran-church-portland
Join us for daily devotions on Instagram: HTLCPDX
Follow us on Twitter @HTLCPDX
If you are interested in my occasional musing on my blog you can find it here http://spoileralertimnotagoodwriter.blogspot.com
Keep an eye on our webpage www.htlcpdx.com for more updates as well.
Pastor Andrew's Schedule Sept 21-25
*Now that we are close to Colleen's due date my schedule my change without much notice.
Monday- On Call if needed
Tuesday- Pastors preaching group in the am and around the church in the pm.
Wednesday- Around the church
Thursday- On call if needed in the morning and afternoon, Evening Council
Friday- On call if needed, sermon prep
Blessings Pastor Andrew