Grace, Mercy and Peace to you, Welcome to Volume 33 of this E-Newsletter.
...and just like that summer is coming to a close and kids are going back to school. I am sure that some are overjoyed by this fact while others are trying to squeeze the last few drops of summer out. Now granted summer is really over but as far as I am concerned as soon as school is back in session summer is done. I even hear that they are calling for rain this weekend, thanks be to God.
I figured you don't want to hear me wax poetic about summer's ending so how about just a few updates from around the Church.
This Sunday two big things are happening. If you haven't checked your calendar yet, this is the 5th Sunday of the month so unless you have been ignoring me the past few months you already know that Sunday is the day of our 5th Sunday Ingathering. We are supporting Lewis Elementary School right up the street and they have request a few supplies for their upcoming school year (Band aids (regular size/length, plain), Kleenex, Clear (non-purple) Elmer's Gluesticks, Sharpies brand markers, and Highlighters). So bring those in because we need to get them over to the school as soon as possible.
Also this Sunday is going to be our Blessing of Backpacks event. Students young and old should bring in their bags so we can blessing them and pray for students heading back to school. If you would like you can also bring the names of teachers or school administrators for us to pray for them.
Available this week will be the first of our Table Top Talk materials. These are designed to be taken home for dinner conversation. Most of what we learn about faith occurs at home, that is the place where we see faith in action and we hear the conversations that help to continue our growth as disciples. These materials are meant to be conversation starters over dinner, in the car or around the table. They will be available each week at church and also on the recourses tab of our website.
- 4th and finally Sunday September 6th is going to be an important day in the life of the catholic (meaning universal not specifically Roman Catholic Church) Church. The ELCA has accepted an invitation from the AME Zion Church to join them in "a Day of Confession, Repentance, Prayer and Commitment to end Racism". We will be engaging in the calling of Christ to work for the justice of all, to see one another as Child of God first and foremost and Committing to be active members in the work of ending racism in our world.
Prayer Requests: The family and Friends of Barbara R, Betty J, Shirley P., Leah, Don + Lois T., Glen and Jill, Karen, Dorothy F, Pastor Janell, Rev. Maggie, Marie and Jake, Jane, Dan, St. Mark's Lutheran, St. Paul Lutheran, Pastor Fred, Danielle, Grayson and all those preparing for baptism or recently baptized, those working in relief of forest fires, Holden Village, that we should remain troubled by everything that is troubling, the church, the world, and all those in need.
- August 30th will not just be our 5th Sunday Ingathering but also will be the day in which we pray for all of our students as they head back to school. So students of all ages are encouraged to bring in their backpacks to have them blessed and also bring the names of your teachers and administrators so we can pray for them. This will also be a time for a blessing of our school supplies as we send out our gathering. Be sure to join us.
- September 13th is "God's Work, Our Hands" Sunday in the ELCA. Congregations across the country will be heading out that day to do service in their communities. We will be participating however on September 20th from 2-5pm. We will be serving alongside other at Potluck in the Park. Potluck in the Park is an event that has been occurring in the North Park Blocks since the 1990s. It provides a meal, each and every Sunday for all who show up and gather. We will be participating alongside others through Hands on Portland. There is a signup sheet at church if you would like to attend or you can sign up online http://www.handsonportland.org/HOC__Volunteer_Opportunity_Details_Page?id=a0C1200000knClcEAE&wrs=HOC0009-003-63072243-2d44-436d-8b8b-b09702bce1f6.
- If you are feeling the need to travel in 2016 the Oregon Synod of the ELCA is sponsoring a trip to the Holy Land. The trip will be in May and all are welcome to go on the trip. If you are interested contact Pastor Andrew for more details.
- Summer Book Study of Unbinding the Gospel by Martha Grace Reese has 1 week remaining! It is a text written for congregation to focus on their prayer life, to understand the connection between prayer and action, and develop an understanding of how to apply the Gospel to their communities. We will be gathering throughout the summer to discuss the book and what it means to us here at Holy Trinity. We will be meeting on Monday's beginning on July 6th at Shut Up and Eat in the Rally Room. Books will be available through the church for purchase, donation or lending.
- New A Day of Confession, Repentance, Prayer, and Commitment to end Racism. Our worship this morning will be to time to confront racism, to ask for forgiveness for the ways we are a part of individual and systemic racism, a time for prayer and a time to commit ourselves to the work of ending racism in our lives, church, communities, cities, states and world. We have been invited to join with Bishops of the AME Zion church to make ending racism a reality in our world. Worship will be at 9:30 with conversation and fellowship afterwards.
- Remember at church a few weeks ago when there was a car broken down in our parking lot? That car belonged to Pastor Chris Pruitt. He is a church planter here in Portland, and is in the process of beginning a church in town. The car that was broken down was the car he was using for work and ministry and it broken down for the last time. He is in the process of finding a new car for his work so if you yourself or anyone else is looking to donate a car to his ministry please contact the church office.
- There is no doubt about the fact that summer is here. This is a great time of the year to start getting more active and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having. So join Pastor Andrew on Wednesday to walk around the neighborhood. We will be meeting at 2:30 at the church and set off for a stroll around the neighborhood.
- *This Sunday *5th Sunday ingathering of canned goods is right around the corner again. Our next ingathering will be, August 30th! This month we will be supporting Lewis Elementary School. They have requested a few things that will greatly help in kicking off their school year. We will be gathering them on the 31st but feel free to drop them off before hand if you like. Our next gathering will be canned good donations in November.
Band aids (regular size/length, plain)
Clear (non-purple) Elmer's Gluesticks
Sharpies brand markers
- Thrivant Builds was a great success! Pam and I worked on various projects around the site! Thrivant Financial partners with Habitat for Humanity on their building projects here in Portland. The next build is going to be October 10th and they are looking for volunteers to help. This is a wonderful opportunity to help out the community and dust off those work boots. This will be a joint event between St. Mark's St. Paul and us here at Holy Trinity. Check out the flyers around church and sign up. Keep your eye out for more information or contact Pastor Andrew for more information. You can signup online at http://vhub.at/thriventfinancial
- Check out out new calendar on our website www.htlcpdx.com http://www.htlcpdx.com/ for the most updated events around the church and community.
-There are many ways to connect and engage with Holy Trinity Lutheran.
Find us on Facebook: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church Portland
Spread the word on Yelp http://www.yelp.com/biz/holy-trinity-lutheran-church-portland
Join us for devotions on Instagram: HTLCPDX
Follow us on Twitter @HTLCPDX
If you are interested in my occasional musing on my blog you can find it here http://spoileralertimnotagoodwriter.blogspot.com
Keep an eye on our webpage www.htlcpdx.com for more updates as well.
Pastor Andrew's Schedule Aug. 31- Sept. 4
Monday- On call if needed, book study at night.
Tuesday- Pastors preaching group in the am and around the church in the pm.
Wednesday- Around the church
Thursday- On call if needed in the morning, Afternoon at church
Friday- On call if needed, sermon prep
Blessings Pastor Andrew