Grace, Mercy and Peace to you, Welcome to Volume 29 of this E-Newsletter.
This has been a full busy week, and there is not great update that I have to pass along this week. However, I wanted to highlight a few events that are up coming to make sure they are on people's radars.
This past Saturday afternoon Barbara Roberts joined the church triumphant. As many of you know she has been a long time member of Holy Trinity, since the early days of Pastor Anderson. She brought her many gifts to the congregation through her music every week. There is a way that music relates the truth of the Gospel in a way that nothing else can. She knew that promise of Christ and share it with us every week. We will be gathering at 10am on saturday here at church to celebrate her life, remind ourselves of the promise of life eternal that she knew and shared with us on a weekly basis.
The second updates concerns our Habitat for Humanity build in just a few short weeks. We will be joining our local Thrivant chapter on August 14th to build for provide future housing. It will be a wonderful day of service but also a chance to work side by side with others in the area as we explore how we are being called to be the church.
Finally, if anyone has wonderful handwriting we are looking for someone to help us with our prayer board that Keith build for us. We are looking for someone to write or paint on the board before we hang it on the fence as an outreach to the community. So please let me know if you have any skills in this area.
Prayer Requests: The family and Friends of Barbara R, Betty J, Shirley P., Lois T., Dorothy F, Pastor Janell, Rev. Maggie, Marie and Jake, Jane, Dan, Joy N, St. Mark's Lutheran, St. Paul Lutheran, Pastor Fred, Danielle, Grayson and all those preparing for baptism or recently baptized, Dan, that we should remain troubled by everything that is troubling, the church, the world, and all those in need.
- Summer Book Study, this Summer we will be partaking in a summer book study of Unbinding the Gospel by Martha Grace Reese. It is a text written for congregation to focus on their prayer life, to understand the connection between prayer and action, and develop an understanding of how to apply the Gospel to their communities. We will be gathering throughout the summer to discuss the book and what it means to us here at Holy Trinity. We will be meeting on Monday's beginning on July 6th at Shut Up and Eat in the Rally Room. Books will be available through the church for purchase, donation or lending.
- Remember at church a few weeks ago when there was a car broken down in our parking lot? That car belonged to Pastor Chris Pruitt. He is a church planter here in Portland, and is in the process of beginning a church in town. The car that was broken down was the car he was using for work and ministry and it broken down for the last time. He is in the process of finding a new car for his work so if you yourself or anyone else is looking to donate a car to his ministry please contact the church office.
- You may be seeing around church large sheets of paper on the walls. These are a part of the Call process we are working on, they are asking questions to help us assess who we are and where we are going. So feel free to grab a pen or marker and write down a few of your ideas.
- There is no doubt about the fact that summer is here. This is a great time of the year to start getting more active and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having. So join Pastor Andrew on Wednesday to walk around the neighborhood. We will be meeting at 2:30 at the church and set off for a stroll around the neighborhood.
- 5th Sunday ingathering of canned goods is right around the corner again. Our next ingathering will be, August 30th! This month we will be supporting Lewis Elementary School. They have requested a few things that will greatly help in kicking off their school year. We will be gathering them on the 31st but feel free to drop them off before hand if you like. Our next gathering will be canned good donations in November.
Band aids (regular size/length, plain)
Clear (non-purple) Elmer's Gluesticks
Sharpies brand markers
-Thrivant Builds! Thrivant Financial partners with Habitat for Humanity on their building projects here in Portland. We will be focusing on one date (Aug, 14th) that they are looking for volunteers to help. This is a wonderful opportunity to help out the community and dust off those work boots. This will be a joint event between St. Mark's St. Paul and us here at Holy Trinity. Check out the flyers around church and sign up. Keep your eye out for more information or contact Pastor Andrew for more information. You can signup online at http://vhub.at/thriventfinancial
-Check out out new calendar on our website www.htlcpdx.com http://www.htlcpdx.com/ for the most updated events around the church and community.
-There are many ways to connect and engage with Holy Trinity Lutheran.
Find us on Facebook: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church Portland
Spread the word on Yelp http://www.yelp.com/biz/holy-trinity-lutheran-church-portland
Join us for devotions on Instagram: HTLCPDX
Follow us on Twitter @HTLCPDX
If you are interested in my occasional musing on my blog you can find it here http://spoileralertimnotagoodwriter.blogspot.com
Keep an eye on our webpage www.htlcpdx.com for more updates as well.
Pastor Andrew's Schedule July 27-31
Monday- On call if needed and Evening Bible Study at Church
Tuesday- Around Church
Wednesday- Around church and Barbara Roberts internment at 12:30pm
Thursday- On call if needed
Friday- Remote Sermon Prep
Blessings Pastor Andrew