Grace, Mercy and Peace to you, Welcome to Volume 27 of this E-Newsletter.
This week in Detroit Michigan 30,000 youth, adult mentors, speakers, musicians and a host of other people are showing up for the ELCA Youth Gathering 2015. Every three years the ELCA descends on a city with the full force of their youth. Raw event is a gathering of High School youth. It is not just a gathering for youth groups to travel together but rather this is a time for worship, for fellowship, for service, holy play and for listening to the calling of the Holy Spirit.
The event runs over the course of a few days and this year centered around the theme of Rise Up Together. The gathering itself is for many a pivotal point in the faith development of those in attendance. This for many, including myself, is a high water mark in development. It is more than just a trip but it is a chance to commune and join in fellowship with fellow youth that are experiencing faith in new a different ways.
The ELCA has taken a focus as well over the past gathering to host the event in cities that have seen some hardships in the recent history. It is not just a way to bring money into a struggling or rebuilding city but it is a time to bring life, vitality, and the Holy Spirit into a place where some have given up on. To bring that energy into a city that resembles our lives of faith, once lost but now found.
We are reminded in our faith to be child like, not childish, we are called to remember that trust and dependance on God. We are called to shape our faith in a way to see the world as a place of wonder, where anything is possible through God, where we do not see race, sexual orientation, creed, or any other division but see each other as brothers and sisters in Christ. So let us pray this week for the gathering, that Christ may be encountered, and that the Spirit may flow through the gathering and spread as its participants return home.
If you are interested in follow the event you can check out their website https://www.elca.org/YouthGathering or use the hashtag #riseupELCA on social media.
Prayer Requests: Barbara R, Betty J, Shirley P., Lois T., Dorothy F, Pastor Janell, Rev. Maggie, Marie and Jake, Jane, Dan, Gerry and Liz as they travels, St. Mark's Lutheran, St. Paul Lutheran, All participating in the ELCA Youth Gathering in Detroit, Pastor Fred, Danielle, Grayson and all those preparing for baptism or recently baptized, Dan, that we should remain troubled by everything that is troubling, the church, the world, and all those in need.
- Summer Book Study, this Summer we will be partaking in a summer book study of Unbinding the Gospel by Martha Grace Reese. It is a text written for congregation to focus on their prayer life, to understand the connection between prayer and action, and develop an understanding of how to apply the Gospel to their communities. We will be gathering throughout the summer to discuss the book and what it means to us here at Holy Trinity. We will be meeting on Monday's beginning on July 6th at Shut Up and Eat in the Rally Room. Books will be available through the church for purchase, donation or lending.
- NEW Remember at church a few weeks ago when there was a car broken down in our parking lot? That car belonged to Pastor Chris Pruitt. He is a church planter here in Portland, and is in the process of beginning a church in town. The car that was broken down was the car he was using for work and ministry and it broken down for the last time. He is in the process of finding a new car for his work so if you yourself or anyone else is looking to donate a car to his ministry please contact the church office.
- You may be seeing around church large sheets of paper on the walls. These are a part of the Call process we are working on, they are asking questions to help us assess who we are and where we are going. So feel free to grab a pen or marker and write down a few of your ideas.
- There is no doubt about the fact that summer is here. This is a great time of the year to start getting more active and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having. So join Pastor Andrew on Wednesday to walk around the neighborhood. We will be meeting at 2:30 at the church and set off for a stroll around the neighborhood.
- 5th Sunday ingathering of canned goods is right around the corner again. Our next ingathering will be, August 30th! This month we will be supporting Lewis Elementary School. They have requested a few things that will greatly help in kicking off their school year. We will be gathering them on the 31st but feel free to drop them off before hand if you like. Our next gathering will be canned good donations in November.
Band aids (regular size/length, plain)
Clear (non-purple) Elmer's Gluesticks
Sharpies brand markers
- Thrivant Builds! Thrivant Financial partners with Habitat for Humanity on their building projects here in Portland. We will be focusing on one date (Aug, 14th) that they are looking for volunteers to help. This is a wonderful opportunity to help out the community and dust off those work boots. This will be a joint event between St. Mark's St. Paul and us here at Holy Trinity. Check out the flyers around church and sign up. Keep your eye out for more information or contact Pastor Andrew for more information. You can signup online at http://vhub.at/thriventfinancial
- St.Mark's is having their annual Rummage Sale on July 24-25th and all are welcome to attend. Donations will be accepted beginning in June.
- Check out out new calendar on our website www.htlcpdx.com http://www.htlcpdx.com/ for the most updated events around the church and community.
-There are many ways to connect and engage with Holy Trinity Lutheran.
Find us on Facebook: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church Portland
Spread the word on Yelp http://www.yelp.com/biz/holy-trinity-lutheran-church-portland
Join us for daily devotions on Instagram: HTLCPDX
Follow us on Twitter @HTLCPDX
If you are interested in my occasional musing on my blog you can find it here http://spoileralertimnotagoodwriter.blogspot.com
Keep an eye on our webpage www.htlcpdx.com for more updates as well.
Pastor Andrew's Schedule July 20-24
Monday- Evening Bible Study at Shut Up and Eat
Tuesday- Morning Pastor Text Study Group and afternoon around office.
Wednesday- Morning and afternoon around church
Thursday- Morning on call if need and afternoon around the church office
Friday- Remote Sermon Prep
Blessings Pastor Andrew