Grace, Mercy and Peace to you, Welcome to Volume 24 of this E-Newsletter.
After the shooting at Emanuel AME Church I, like many are grasping for an understanding or words to explain the event. It was a tragic loss that caused me to reflect last week on the verse from our Gospel reading. "Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?" (Mark 4:38b)
That is the cry and the question we are asking! From Charleston, to Portland, to Ferguson, to the Middle East, to Baltimore and everywhere in-between. We are asking and crying for that salvation, for that saving. This was not an isolated incident but is another example of the fear, hatred, and racism in the world. There is no way around it.
I am still at a lack for words, but we are not without a lack of visuals of the witness to the Gospel that is taking place. From Sunday worship at Emanuel, to the gathering at the bridge in Charleston and elsewhere. We are finding the hope that comes in the Gospel but even more we are finding our voices. We are finding that our voices can put words to the Gospel. We are saying that this is the end, never again, the church will be a place of peace, forgiveness and reconciliation and we will no longer pushed aside or be silenced but we will stand for peace, equality and the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
If you have not read the words of Bishop Easton you can here. http://www.elca.org/News-and-Events/7753
Prayer Requests: The family and friends of Ruth Barbara R, Betty J, Shirley P., Lois T., Dorothy F, Pastor Janell, Rev. Maggie, Jane, Dan, Those affected by the shooting in Charleston Siegline as she travels, St. Mark's Lutheran, St. Paul Lutheran, Pastor Fred, Danielle, Grayson and all those preparing for baptism or recently baptized, Dan, that we should remain troubled by everything that is troubling, the church, the world, and all those in need.
- Mark your calendars for June 28th which is THIS SUNDAY. This will be the date for our church picnic. We will be gathering on the 28th for worship outside (weather permitting) and afterwards will be having fellowship around the grill. There will be a sign up sheet in the fellowship room for picnic materials. Please bring something to share if you are attending. St. Mark's will be joining for for our picnic Holy Trinity people are asked to bring main dishes and St. Mark's will be bringing salads and dessert.
- Summer Book Study, this Summer we will be partaking in a summer book study of Unbinding the Gospel by Martha Grace Reese. It is a text written for congregation to focus on their prayer life, to understand the connection between prayer and action, and develop an understanding of how to apply the Gospel to their communities. We will be gathering throughout the summer to discuss the book and what it means to us here at Holy Trinity. We will be meeting on Monday's beginning on July 6th at a location to be announced.
- There is no doubt about the fact that summer is here. This is a great time of the year to start getting more active and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having. So join Pastor Andrew on Wednesday to walk around the neighborhood. We will be meeting at 2:30 at the church and set off for a stroll around the neighborhood.
- 5th Sunday ingathering of canned goods is right around the corner again. Our next ingathering will be, August 30th! This month we will be supporting Lewis Elementary School. They have requested a few things that will greatly help in kicking off their school year. We will be gathering them on the 31st but feel free to drop them off before hand if you like. Our next gathering will be canned good donations in November.
Band aids (regular size/length, plain)
Clear (non-purple) Elmer's Gluesticks
Sharpies brand markers
- Thrivant Builds! Thrivant Financial partners with Habitat for Humanity on their building projects here in Portland. We will be focusing on one date (Aug, 14th) that they are looking for volunteers to help. This is a wonderful opportunity to help out the community and dust off those work boots. This will be a joint event between St. Mark's St. Paul and us here at Holy Trinity. Check out the flyers around church and sign up. Keep your eye out for more information or contact Pastor Andrew for more information. You can signup online at http://vhub.at/thriventfinancial
- St.Mark's is having their annual Rummage Sale on July 24-25th and all are welcome to attend. Donations will be accepted beginning in June.
- Check out out new calendar on our website www.htlcpdx.com http://www.htlcpdx.com/ for the most updated events around the church and community.
-There are many ways to connect and engage with Holy Trinity Lutheran.
Find us on Facebook: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church Portland
Spread the word on Yelp http://www.yelp.com/biz/holy-trinity-lutheran-church-portland
Join us for daily devotions on Instagram: HTLCPDX
Follow us on Twitter @HTLCPDX
If you are interested in my occasional musing on my blog you can find it here http://spoileralertimnotagoodwriter.blogspot.com
Keep an eye on our webpage www.htlcpdx.com for more updates as well.
Pastor Andrew's Schedule June 29-July 3
Monday- Around Church
Tuesday- Morning Pastor Text Study Group and afternoon around office.
Wednesday- Out of Town
Thursday- Out of Town
Friday- Out of Town
Blessings Pastor Andrew